[IAUC] CBET 3081: 20120404 : NOVA OPHIUCHI 2012

quai en eps.harvard.edu quai en eps.harvard.edu
Mar Abr 3 20:12:39 ART 2012

                                                  Electronic Telegram No. 3081
Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION
CBAT Director:  Daniel W. E. Green; Hoffman Lab 209; Harvard University;
 20 Oxford St.; Cambridge, MA  02138; U.S.A.
e-mail:  cbatiau en eps.harvard.edu (alternate cbat en iau.org)
URL http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/index.html
Prepared using the Tamkin Foundation Computer Network

NOVA OPHIUCHI 2012
     R. J. Rudy, R. W. Russell, and D. L. Kim, The Aerospace Corporation;
M. L. Sitko and A. N. Stefanko, University of Cincinnati; and W. Golisch and
E. Volquardsen, Infrared Telescope Facility (IRTF), report on 0.8- to
2.4-micron spectroscopy of Nova Oph 2012 (cf. CBET 3072), acquired on Mar. 28
30 UT using the Spex instrument on the IRTF.  The measurements show Fe II
features in the 1-micron range, confirming that the object is an "Fe II"-type
nova.  In addition to Fe II, the spectrum shows other low-excitation emission
lines, including C I, N I, O I, and Ca II.  Many of the H I, O I, and N I
lines showed P-Cyg profiles on Mar. 28.  The emission components of these
lines had weakened or disappeared in the Mar. 30 spectrum.  There is a strong
continuum rising to the the blue, showing only slight reddening.  The
approximate K-band magnitude derived from the spectrophotometry is 10.0.

NOTE: These 'Central Bureau Electronic Telegrams' are sometimes
      superseded by text appearing later in the printed IAU Circulars.

                         (C) Copyright 2012 CBAT
2012 April 4                     (CBET 3081)              Daniel W. E. Green